Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Do We Want a Shepherd's Christmas?


I've been reading Luther's Christmas Sermons in hopes of finding some Christmas sanity. This is what I found:

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night." That was a mean job, watching flocks by night. Common sense calls it low-down work, and men who do it are regarded as trash. But ... the angels ... proclaimed their message only to shepherds watching their flock by night.... They were pure in heart and content with their work, no aspiring to be townsmen or nobles, nor envious of the mighty. Next to faith this is the highest art--to be content.

Oh for some Christmas contentment! But I wasn't convinced that Luther was right about these shepherds. How did he know that the shepherds weren't envious of the townsmen. But I read on:
Who would have thought that men whose job was tending unreasoning animals would be so praised that not a pope or a bishop is worthy to hand them a cup of water? It is the very devil that no one wants to follow the shepherds.

I never thought about identifying with the shepherds. I just thought how nice that God honored these poor fellows.

The married man wants to be without a wife, or the nobleman to be a prince. It is: "If I were this! If I were that!" You fool! The best job is the one you have. If you are married, you cannot have a higher status. If you are a servant, you are in the very best position. Be diligent and know that there are no greater saints on this earth than servants. Do not say, "If I were;" say, "I am." Look at the shepards. They were watching their flocks by night, and an angel came and made them apostles, prophers, and children of God. Caiaphas, Herod, and the high priests were not deemed worthy. I would rather be one of those shepherds than that the Pope should make me a saint or the emperor make me a king.

"And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them: and they were sore afraid." The field was flooded with light --brilliant dazzling. Not the town, but the field was lighted up.... 
"And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people."... I fear death, the judgment of God, the world, hunger, and the like. The angel announces a Saviour who will free us from fear. Not a word is said about our merits and works, but only the gift we are to receive.

"For unto you is born this day," that is, unto us. For our sakes he has taken flesh and blood from a woman, that his birth might become our birth.... If you hear that this Child is yours, that takes root, and a man becomes suddenly so strong that to him death and life are the same.

Now that's a strong cup of Christmas cheer, don't you think?

No comments: