Friday, August 7, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Last night after my six year old Kate and I returned from a bike ride in the park, and she was getting ready for her bedtime story (The Magician's Nephew), she remarked "I love life. Better than being an animal." I smiled, and she added, "I can't believe I'm a person!" Then pointing to her forehead and crossing her eyes at her forefinger rested there she said, "I'm her!" Then getting tickled at herself and giggling madly said, "I can't believe I'm a freak!"

It reminded me that we didn't create ourselves. Life is something we discover. It's a gift meant to be a joy, not a problem to be brooded over or depressed about. I once read this quote:
We try to teach children about life. They try to teach us what life's about.

Ah! They often know, better than we do, the art of living. The Lord speaks to us, sometimes philosophically, "out of the mouth of babes" (Ps. 8:2).

No comments: